The past 8 weeks have seen me going from SUMMER to SPRING to WINTER!
From November through February I drank up the ‘Pura Vida’ sun shine in Costa Rica….
Thankfully I have been traveling ‘RAW’ for a while now and I am used to all kinds of hurdles…
Long haul flights, road trips, family gatherings and more…
In fact, I am getting to like the challenge* of surviving & thriving, while keeping it real..
(*for me, this is not a competition, if I feel the need to change the way I eat, I will, but for now, this is really working out)
Come sun shine or snow, there are ways to stay high-raw and nourished, you just have to know your body well enough to respond to what it needs.
So, here’s how I did it Upstate NY (I don’t think I need to show you how I did it in Costa Rica, right?!) 😉
- Hydration situation… Asides from having access to fresh mountain spring water 24/7, I swapped out my usual coconut water for fresh maple tree sap! Maple trees deliver a divine liquid full of vitamins, minerals, polyphenols and phytohormones… Luckily the season to tap is March-April 🙂 I landed in New York at just the right time! I also became aware of how much less waste I was producing ~ the maple sap doesn’t come in a carton, it comes straight out of the tree and the tree doesn’t mind at all!
- Warming elixirs… oh yes, I am sure you must know by now how much a love my elixirs! But during this colder spell my elixirs were ramped up a notch or 2… I was lucky enough to have access to wild harvested reishi extract! I also added extra cayenne for some inner heat and circulation, plus extra maca root (a powerful adaption), cacao (strong thermogenic) and local honey… I also swapped out my usual ‘Pukka Licorice & Cinnamon’ tea base for a some ‘Yogi Spice’ tea… mmmm mmmmm!
- Salads! But of course! No matter where you are on this planet, I am pretty sure you can make some kind of salad… you just have to do the best you can with what you’ve got. I was blessed to have access to all kinds of greens at the local co-op but this was heavily supplemented by sprouts grown by my wonderfully resourceful host who knew how to make off grid, forest living a place to thrive in…
- Dressings… *TAHINI* I LOVE YOU, need I say more? There is almost too much to say here about the many wonderful ways to use tahini… here’s one example that went down a treat, even with the regular cheese eaters out there 😉
- BLUEBERRIES? Seriously? Yep! Yet again my host pulls out more magic… In the sunny month of August the blueberry bushes are literally overflowing with food. He freezes the abundance immediately and pulls it out through the year to come… Genius.
- Sweet TREATS! Name your vehicle… be it an apple round or a medjool date you can stuff a lot of magic on to that little transportation system to your mouth! Check it out…
- Oh, and a fire… did I mention fire? If it’s cold out, light a fire and/or wear more clothes! Simple!
We all live in tropical conditions.
If you don’t believe me look at your thermostat, it probably says something around 68°, it does in most homes in the western world. But in Upstate NY, we didn’t heating so we relied solely on the wood burning stove.
Staying RAW in the winter is one of the questions I get asked the most and I sometimes feel like I have no room to comment as I spend most of my winter months in Costa Rica. However, this year life took me on a different path!
I fell backwards in seasonal time and for that, I am infinitely grateful!
I learned *so much* these past 4 weeks, lessons I won’t forget any time soon.
I realized how important it is to look around me and ask; What is available? What don’t I have to buy from a store, and how can I tread more lightly?
Thank you to my wonderful, humble & hugely inspiring host!
Thank you snow, thank you forest, thank you teachers!