This month I have been blessed with the opportunity to re-introduce some old reliable plants into my daily elixirs.
While traveling it is not always easy to get hold of various medicinal mushrooms and tonic herbs.
Not that I am complaining at all! While spending time in the tropics and then later on in New York State, I took advantage of the many other naturally growing native plants within my reach.
Now back in Edinburgh I hunted out a highly recommended supplier for tonic herbs and superfoods while I don’t have great access to such things…
Hybrid Herbs were the first to pop up on my radar after some very careful & specific searching so I thought I’d give them a go.
Wow – am I am glad I did!!!
As you probably know by now a huge part of my lifestyle is to integrate medicinal plants and mushrooms, most commonly via a delicious medium I like to call a chocolate elixir.
Chocolate is the perfect delivery system for almost all medicinals… it stimulates your mind body and spirit all while it dilates your circulatory and respiratory systems, it truly opens you up to receive the goodness that is available!
Cacao alone is enough to call my hot brews ‘Elixirs’…
However, once you start adding extracts of healing and life giving tonic herbs and mushrooms, these ELIXIRS go to the next level!
The 4 medicinals I chose were all ones I had tried before… I had a good idea about what to expect if they were of high quality.
Some of them are slow acting for example the cordyceps are something I feel over a period of time, it almost feels like a slow increase in vital energy.
Reishi and Chaga are similar, especially since I don’t have any big health issues, I usually feel the injection of vitality after a week of use. I believe if you did have something more serious going on, you would see/feel the effects a lot sooner.
For me, Fo-ti/He Shou Wu is the one with the most immediate effect… almost instantly I feel my mood elated 10 fold and I can get quite giggly 🙂 not to be taken in large doses before teaching yoga, as I discovered last weekend 😉
I stared by experimenting with one medicinal per elixir, later on adding the others to the same brew.
That way you can observe what each does to you as you add it in there.
Trust the process, yourself, your intuition and the plants will be happy to help.
It is slower than taking a pill or a tablet when it comes to effects, you might not feel it right away, or maybe you will…
I have listed the general benefits below and you can read more if it sounds interesting to you.
Keep in mind, they all have their own plan once they get into us so they will work on you differently too I am sure. I love that mushrooms and plants are here to help us, we just have to sit back and let them do their work.
Before I go, here’s a basic elixir recipe (posted here many times before I am sure!) … you can add the medicine as you see fit, one at a time or combining them to make your own special brew.
1 large mug of a tea of your choice (I enjoy chai tea for a base liquid or something sweet with licorice) or just plain hot water (not boiling)
1-2 teaspoons coconut oil
3-4 dates (medjool are best!)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla powder
2 table spoons raw cacao powder
(Add 1 table spoon of honey or maple if you like it sweeter)
Optional extras before the other medicinals…
1-2 teaspoons maca powder
1-2 teaspoons lucuma powder
1-2 teaspoons mesquite powder
NOW, add your mushrooms and tonic herbs, slowly, start with 1/2 teaspoon then gradually build up!
Blend in the vitamix until smooth and creamy!
Serve in your favorite drinking receptacle
Enjoy alone or with friends and look forward to the next one… you know you;re on to a good thing when you can’t wait for the next one 😉
The boys at Hybrid Herbs are super kind, welcoming and informative. They know what they are talking about and have a one t one relationship with all of their customers if they ask for it.
I can highly recommend their products to you, especially the He Shou Wu if your up for a giggle 😉 their Reishi is pretty bad ass too 🙂 in fact… try them all, have fun! Play! Enjoy!
The Benefits Of Cordyceps Sinensis
- Increases energy
- Strengthens the body and mind
- Helps the body to adapt to stress
- A profound lung tonic
- A powerful athletic tonic
- Useful to those recovering from illness
- Helps the body fight to viruses, bacteria and fungi
- Strengthens the immune system
- Promotes sound sleep
Reported Benefits Of Reishi Mushroom
- Improving the healthy functioning of the immune system
- Stress relieving (known as the supreme spirit herb in Asia)
- Promoting a sense of peace and wellbeing
- Cleansing of the liver
- Anti-viral, Anti-Candida, Anti-Fungal, Anti-Microbial
- Used to build wisdom, creativity, concentration and memory
- Calming of the nerves
- Energy boosting
The Health Benefits Of Chaga Mushroom
- Protective against DNA damage (Extremely rich in Antioxidants)
- Promotes healthy hair, nails and skin
- Strengthens the immune system to fight disease
- Supports the healthy functioning of the liver (Hepatoprotective)
- Used to fight various forms of cancer
- Eliminates viruses (Anti-Bacterial, Anti-Fungal, Anti-Viral)
- Anti-inflammatory and Pain Relieving
- Purifies and cleanses the blood
- Increases energy and wellbeing
The Suggested Benefits Of Fo- Ti (He Shou Wu)
- The premier anti-aging tonic in Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Used to eliminate grey hair and restore the natural colour of the hair
- Protects and restores hair quality and texture
- Calming of the nervous system
- An extremely potent fertility agent
- Nourishes and tonifies the Liver and Kidney
- Improves functioning of the adrenal glands
- Promotes deep, restful sleep